Various parts of a car are recycled by an auto dismantler. An auto dismantler sells the functional parts, restores those that can be repaired and sells them. There are some parts such as worn out tires which need to be carefully disposed of as they are voluminous. They are also constituted in such a manner that they are not bio-degradable.
Tires of a car are designed to be long-lasting. But when they reach the end of life i.e. when they are worn out or damaged they can be detrimental to the environment. Hence, their safe disposal is essential.
Let us see how discarded tires impact the environment:
• The number of tires discarded annually is quite large. And, each tire occupies a lot of space. If tires are abandoned they will occupy a lot of space.
• They damage landfill liners and promote the growth of rodents.
• They take about 50-60 years to decompose completely in a landfill.
• Landfill liners are damaged by tires and these contaminate soil and water.
• Discarded tires trap methane making it buoyant. It then bubbles to the surface adversely affecting landfill liners.
Some years back nothing could be done regarding the abandoned tires. But fortunately, now there are recycling methods available through which tires are converted into useful material for other applications.
Some of the recycling methods used are:
It entails shredding a tire into small pieces using a knife at room temperature.
In this case, liquid nitrogen is used to freeze the tire at sub-zero temperature. This causes changes in the physical properties of the tire making it brittle. The tire is then placed in an enclosure and it is shredded using hammers.
Recycled tires find numerous applications:
1. Cement Manufacturing:
Old tires are extensively used as an alternative fuel in the manufacture of Portland cement.
2. Recycled rubber is used for manufacturing a number of products:
• Soil additives
• Synthetic Turf
• Stall Mats for horses
• Backdrops for shooting ranges
• Jogging tracks
• Floor mats for gyms
• Covers for playgrounds
• Rubberized asphalt
It is being used on a large-scale for constructing pavements, etc instead of traditional asphalt.
Hence, we see that modern technology has introduced methods such as recycling which benefit the environment. By recycling a tire we are not only protecting our environment but also creating various useful products in a cost-effective manner.